There’s a cheese toastie and then there’s this cheese toastie! Three types of tasty cheese and sautéed mushrooms, delicately flavoured with rosemary and a hefty dollop of red onion chutney for the ultimate indulgent sandwich.
- 4 large slices of sourdough
- 200g British shiitake mushrooms, roughly sliced
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, roughly chopped
- 85g butter
- 2 tbsp caramelised red onion chutney
- 100g Oxfordshire rollright cheese, sliced
- 100g organic mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 100g East Sussex mayfield cheese, grated
- To cook the mushrooms, sauté them on a high heat for 8-10 mins with 2/3 of the butter and the rosemary, until the mushrooms are golden brown. Season to taste with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- To assemble each toastie (this recipe caters for two toasties), spread the chutney onto one slice of sourdough and then place the cooked mushrooms on top. Cover with a generous amount of each of the three cheeses and sandwich together with another slice of sourdough. Repeat for the second toastie.
- Next, melt the remaining butter and brush over both sides of each toastie. Place into a sandwich press or a heavy cast iron skillet and cook for 4-5 mins until the cheese melts and the buttered bread transforms into a golden crust. Serve with extra red onion chutney.
The Green Grass and High Tides Podcast
In this podcast collaboration with 44 Foods, James explores some of his favourite ingredients from the land and coast of Britain.
More recipes from James[posts perpage="6" columns="1" category="james-strawbridge" readmoretext="View Recipe" hideexcerpt="1"]