For the toad in the hole:12 Pork and Apple sausages
175ml whole milk
2 large eggs
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp finely chopped thyme
Seasoning to taste
For the braised cabbage:1 hispi cabbage
Sprig of thyme
Pinch of sea salt
Cracked black pepper
½ tsp grated nutmeg
½ tsp cracked black pepper
1 small glass of apple juice
For the gravy:350g caramelised onion and ale gravy
1 tbsp caramelised red onion chutney
- Heat the oven to 200˚C and roast your sausages for 15-20 mins in oil until browned.
- Meanwhile make a batter by whisking the flour in a large bowl with eggs. Add a little milk at a time to slowly whisk together a smooth batter and season with salt, pepper and lots of chopped thyme. Leave to one side to rest while you finish your prep.
- Season your sliced cabbage with salt, pepper and lots of grated nutmeg and cook in a ridged skillet on a high heat with butter for 5-6 mins to char on each side. Then add apple juice and roast in the oven for 20-25 mins until the core is softened.
- Pour your batter over your cooked sausages and cook on the top shelf of the oven for 30-35 mins until the batter is light and golden.
- Prepare a 5-minute gravy by heating chutney and gravy in a saucepan for 5-10 mins. Serve a generous portion of Toad in the Hole with braised cabbage and gravy.