Complement the natural sweetness of carrots with this beautifully savoury serving suggestion.
- 1kg bunched carrots
- 100g salted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or chopped
- 30g sage
- 30g thyme
- 250g banana shallots, peeled and sliced
- 100g feta cheese
- 30g toasted pine kernels
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the chopped garlic, sliced shallots and sage leaves.
- Remove the thyme leaves from their stalks and add the leaves to the pan.
- Remove the tops from the carrots, leaving 2cm of the stalk. Rather than peel, give them a gentle clean and wash using a new scouring pad.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
- Add in the carrots and boil for two minutes.
- Remove, then add to a large bowl containing the melted butter, sliced shallots, chopped thyme, garlic and sage leaves. Mix together.
- Place evenly onto a baking tray/tin with sides and roast in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (400°F or gas mark 6) for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place in a suitable serving dish. Carefully pour the butter back over the carrots, trying not to drown the crispy shallots.
- Finish with crumbled feta and toasted pine kernels.