Sprouts are for life, not just for Christmas! If you’ve dismissed sprouts as drab and tasteless, it’s time to think again. This zesty winter side dish has plenty of citrus kick and some added crunch from the cashews and peanuts. Leave out the salmon and eggs for a vegan/vegetarian alternative.
For the sprouts:
- 200g British baby brussels sprouts
- 1 lemon
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 lime
- 140g baked cashews & peanuts with chilli and lime
- 1 tbsp dill
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 lemongrass crushed
- 100g baby watercress
- 2 x 100g smoked salmon portions
- 2 Cacklebean eggs
- Organic wild white sourdough loaf (800g)
- Preheat your oven to 180˚C.
- Slice the sprouts in half then add all the citrus zest and juice. Drizzle with rapeseed oil, sea salt and pepper. Grate in some root turmeric and add your lemongrass and chilli cashews. Toss well and then roast in the oven for 15-20 mins.
- Warm the smoked salmon in the oven for the last 4-5 mins alongside the sprouts and toast some sliced sourdough.
- Poach the eggs in boiling water with a tablespoon of vinegar.
- Serve the roasted sprouts on toast with a bed of baby watercress, smoked salmon fillet and poached egg. Garnish with chopped dill and coriander.