500g beef mince
1 clove garlic
Fresh parsley, chopped
3 tbsp breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
250g spelt spaghetti
250ml beef stock
400g tomato and basil sauce
2 shallots, finely diced
2 tbsp extra virgin cold pressed rapeseed oil
30g fresh basil
Salt and cracked black pepper
Parmigiano Reggiano to serve
- Make your meatballs by combining the beef mince, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and parsley in a bowl. Season well. Dust a chopping board with flour, then scoop out small handfuls of the mixture and use the floured surface to roll into a ball.
- Fry the meatballs in a large pan with chopped shallots and a good glug of rapeseed oil. Season to taste.
- Once they have browned, add in beef stock and reduce for 5-6 mins. Then add in the tomato and basil sauce plus half of the finely chopped fresh basil.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water for 7-8 mins.
- Take your cooked pasta straight out of the saucepan and add in with your meatballs to coat in the rich sauce.
- Stir and serve at the table with plenty of grated parmesan on top of each plate. Use the remaining basil torn at the table.