It’s fair to say that James is a big fan of Fat Man Chilli’s Hot Lemon Sauce. He’s making the most of it in this recipe for Wood Fired Cornish Mackerel – it works brilliantly on the BBQ and is ready in minutes.
- 4 whole mackerel
- 1 fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli finely sliced
- 1 tbsp root turmeric, finely sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp hot lemon sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 lemons
- Serve with spring greens
- Start by getting your fire going and allow it to get up to temperature. It's fine if some flames lick the fish, but you also want a good bed of hot embers providing high intensity heat.
- Season your fish with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Stuff your fish with a combination of the sliced fennel, chilli, turmeric and cucumber, tossed together with parsley and plenty of Hot Lemon Sauce.
- Drizzle the mackerel with oil and grill for 4-5 mins on each side. Season again while cooking with a little more salt, then drizzle with lemon juice to prevent the fish drying out while you're grilling.
- Serve with any remaining parsley as a garnish and wilted spring greens on the side.