Recipe: Sticky honey, soy and sesame roasted chicken
This indulgent dish is a treat that’s well worth the wait. Serve with rice noodles, sticky rice or soba noodles for a real winter warmer.
70g softened salted butter
2 tbsp sesame oil
Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to season
1.8kg whole chicken
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp black sesame seeds or ½ tbsp Nigella seeds (optional, but good for colour)
125g soy sauce
Pea shoots or mixed leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (355°F).
- Place the softened butter, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix together.
- Carefully loosen the skin of the chicken at the breast with your fingers. Push the butter mixture under the skin and then tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Place the honey, soy, rice vinegar and sesame oil in a large bowl and mix together.
- Add the chicken (breast downwards) to the bowl of marinade.
- Leave for two hours or ideally overnight. If possible, turn occasionally onto its legs.
- Place the chicken in a roasting tray or tin lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Brush with the marinade.
- Place in the oven and occasionally baste/brush the chicken with the pan juices and marinade.
- Cook for one hour or until cooked through.
- Once cooked, allow the chicken to rest.
- To serve, brush with the marinade and sprinkle with the sesame or nigella seeds.
- Serve the juices from the roasting tray on the side.