Traditional Shakshouka originally came from North Africa- Tunisia is said to be its birthplace , however, its very popular in the Middle East and there are variations of it in Palestine, Israel , Egypt and Turkey. Makes a great breakfast, brunch or lunch dish and is a perfect vegetarian option. Ideally you want to serve the Shakshouka in the dish you cook it in, so a large frying pan with a lid is good.
Get creative in the kitchen and win delicious prizes with the 44 Foods Recipe Challenge. Follow our recipe below, take a few snaps and send it over to us for judging. The best entry for each recipe will win a bundle of 44 Foods goodies. Ready, steady, get cooking!
3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp sesame seeds
2 onions, peeled and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
¼ tsp paprika
Salt & pepper
6 ripe tomatoes, diced or a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes and tomato puree
4 Cacklebean eggs
50 ml natural yoghurt
Flat leaf parsley and coriander, roughly chopped
Serve with ciabatta loaf to mop up the juices
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan. Add the cumin and sesame seeds. When they begin to heat , add the onions, garlic , peppers and paprika. Cook until the vegetables collapse, stirring frequently.
- Add salt & pepper. Add the tomatoes and cook over a moderate heat for 5-8 mins until much of the juice has evaporated.
- Make 4 pockets in the mixture in each quarter of the pan and break an egg into each pocket.
- Spoon over the yoghurt, put the lid on the pan and cook until the eggs have begun to set, but the yolks are still runny.
- Scatter over the parsley and coriander and serve with the ciabatta loaf
For the canivores add 150g minced lamb at stage 2 and cook and brown before adding the tomatoes or crumble over some feta to add extra creaminess
Get the recipe bundle
The Shakshouka Recipe Bundle
This Shakshouka Recipe Bundle contains:
Medium Brown Onion (single)
Garlic Bulb (single)
Red Pepper (single)
British Large Vine Tomatoes (450g)
Cacklebean Mixed Chicken Eggs (6)
Fresh Coriander (30g)
Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley (30g)
Ciabatta Loaf (260g)
Greek Style Natural Yoghurt (500g)