Phil Vickery’s Trophy-Winning Orange and Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding
Keep your guests onside until the final whistle with this indulgent pudding. Phil impressed the MasterChef judges with this sweet treat that combines milk chocolate, 100% dark chocolate, blood orange marmalade and a creamy custard drizzled over some premium sourdough.
- Zest of 1 Large Orange
- 50g Soft Butter
- 5 slices of Wild White Sourdough
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 250ml Whole Milk
- 150ml Double Cream
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Paste/Essence
- Roughly 3 tbsp Blood Orange Marmalade
- 50g Milk Chocolate
- 50g 100% Dark Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C Fan) Gas Mark 6.
- To make the custard, add the eggs, egg yolks, milk, 40g caster sugar, cream and vanilla paste into a saucepan, place on a low heat and whisk continuously until blended. If you want an extra orange flavour you can add some orange peel to infuse the custard (but remember to remove before adding into the dish).
- Cut the bread into 5 slices and then cut these in half. Butter both sides of the bread.
- Roughly chop the chocolate.
- Butter a small oven proof dish. Sprinkle some of the orange zest onto the base, followed by some of the chocolate. Place a layer of bread on top. Scatter on more orange zest and the remaining chocolate. Top with the remaining bread (you can always change the order or add more layers depending on your dish or preference). Pour over the custard and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven and spread over the marmalade and remaining sugar. Return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with a drizzle of cream.
Get this recipe’s ingredients in one easy bundle.
More recipes from Phil
Phil Vickery’s Pork Stroganoff
Phil Vickery’s Roasted Belly Pork with Crushed Butternut Squash, Pak Choi and Slaw
Phil Vickery’s Scrum-ptious Scallops with Black Pudding and Streaky Bacon
Phil Vickery’s Pitch Perfect Lamb Loin Fillets