James Strawbridge’s Creamy Chicken Bake
Not only is this recipe easy to prepare and quick to cook, but it tastes amazing and feels a bit like a cheat’s Sunday roast! James makes the most of seasonal vegetables including salad potatoes, mixed British mushrooms and more.
- 4 free range skin on boneless chicken thighs
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 8 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 50g butter
- 2 shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 bay leaves
- 200g British Mixed Mushrooms, roughly sliced
- 300ml cider
- 300ml chicken stock can
- 150ml organic double cream
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180˚C. Start by sliding a clove of garlic under the skin of each piece of chicken thigh along with a sprig of thyme. Then drizzle with a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook your shallots, bay leaves and mushrooms for 4-5 mins in a knob of melted butter until they start to caramelise. Then nestle the chicken thigh in the pan to start cooking.
- Deglaze the pan and pour in a can of cider followed by chicken stock. Reduce the cider and stock for 10-12 mins by simmering and then pour in your cream.
- Stir in the fresh tarragon and chives, then place the dish in the oven to finish cooking for 10-15 mins or until the chicken skin is golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile boil some new potatoes and wilt some kale to accompany. Season the chicken bake with salt and cracked black pepper.
Get this recipe’s ingredients in one easy bundle.
The Green Grass and High Tides Podcast
In this podcast collaboration with 44 Foods, James explores some of his favourite ingredients from the land and coast of Britain.
More recipes from James
James Strawbridge's Posh Beans on Toast
James Strawbridge’s Triple Cheese and Mushroom Sourdough Toastie
James Strawbridge’s Spiced Plum and Apple Crumble
James Strawbridge’s Fiery Corn on the Cob with Chilli Jam Butter
James Strawbridge's Mackerel Puttanesca