James Strawbridge’s Brown Butter Jersey Royals
This is less of a recipe and more a secret weapon. If you love a perfectly roasted potato, then this one is for you. James works his magic on some springtime favourites – Jersey Royals. Herby, garlicky, buttery – these are a complete dream side dish for your next roast.
- 350g Jersey Royal potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g butter, diced
- 1 roasted garlic bulb
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 50g parmesan, grated
- 1 tbsp chopped dill plus extra for garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped chives plus extra for garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley plus extra for garnish
- Pinch of Droitwich salt and cracked black pepper
Tip: To make roasted garlic, slice the top off your garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in tin foil. Roast at 160˚C for 25-30 minutes until golden. Leave to cool for a few minutes and then you will be able to squeeze out all the lovely roasted garlic cloves.
- Preheat your oven to 200˚C. Clean your potatoes with a brush under cold running water, cut in half and then blanch for 5-10 mins in a saucepan with boiling water.
- Heat some olive oil in a roasting tray for 5 mins. Then drain your potatoes and place into the hot oil to roast in the oven for 15-20 mins.
- Melt your butter in a small saucepan along with the roasted garlic cloves (if you don’t want to use roasted garlic, you can use thinly sliced raw garlic and add it in with the herbs). Once the butter turns golden, bubbly and starts to brown, add in freshly chopped herbs (keeping some aside for the garnish), grated parmesan, and lemon zest. Pour the flavoured brown butter over your potatoes and roast for a final 5-10 mins.
- Serve with a good handful of extra chopped herbs and season with salt and cracked black pepper.
Get this recipe’s ingredients in one easy bundle.
The Green Grass and High Tides Podcast
In this podcast collaboration with 44 Foods, James explores some of his favourite ingredients from the land and coast of Britain.