James Strawbridge’s Braised Super Greens
Brilliant as a side dish for your Sunday roast or a healthy accompaniment for a midweek meal, this is so simple to prepare and makes the most of seasonal savoy cabbage.
- 1 British Seasonal Cabbage, sliced including the core
- 4 shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, crushed
- 1 bulb of fennel, diced
- 3 sticks of celery, sliced
- 1 tbsp thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 75g butter
- 300ml Cider
- 85g Peppercorn Butter
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- Pinch of Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped to garnish
- Crush your garlic cloves and halve your shallots. Sauté in melted butter for 10 mins until caramelised.
- Add the diced fennel, celery, and leek along with thyme and rosemary to the pan. Turn the shallots and stir everything well. Then season with grated nutmeg, sea salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the cabbage and add to the pan. Pour over the cider and place in a few knobs of extra peppercorn butter.
- Cover with a cartouche or lid and braise on medium heat for 15 mins.
- Serve with a generous handful of chopped parsley.
Get this recipe’s ingredients in one easy bundle.
The Green Grass and High Tides Podcast
In this podcast collaboration with 44 Foods, James explores some of his favourite ingredients from the land and coast of Britain.
More recipes from James
James Strawbridge's Elderflower Eton Mess
James Strawbridge's Pork Pibil
James Strawbridge’s Perfect Pizza Toppings
James Strawbridge’s Baked Feta Salad
James Strawbridge’s Wood Fired Cornish Mackerel