Emma Ellice-Flint’s Sweet Potato Jackets with Guacamole and Red Cabbage Slaw
This is a great recipe for an evening meal after a busy day. The complex carbohydrates, good oils and protein make a nourishing combination to see you through a good night’s sleep. To add protein to this dish, flake fish over the sweet potato or slaw. Alternatively, if you have some cooked chicken, shred 100g per person and add it to the top of the sweet potato. If you prefer a vegan or vegetarian option, crumble 100g firm tofu per person over the top.
Serves 2 generous portions
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- ½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- ½ long red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
Red Cabbage Slaw:
- 200g purple cabbage, finely sliced or shredded
- 125g carrot, grated
- 1 big handful or 30g parsley leaves, roughly chopped
Dressing for Slaw:
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- ½ lemon, juiced (about 30ml)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan.
- Wash and cut the sweet potatoes in half horizontally (there’s no need to peel them).
- Rub ½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil over the cut sides.
- Sprinkle over a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Lay the halves onto a baking tray, cut side up, and place into the oven to bake until soft – about 40 minutes depending on their size.
- In a large bowl, mix the slaw dressing together, then add cabbage, carrot and parsley. Toss to combine. If you’re using some of the slaw the following day, do not mix it with the dressing until then.
- De-stone the avocado and scoop out the flesh into a bowl using a spoon. Add the other guacamole ingredients and use a fork to smash it up and mix it around.
- Once the potato is cooked, put the halves onto the plates, top with the guacamole, and serve with a side of slaw.
Learn more about Emma.
©Emma Ellice-Flint ©Emma’s Nutrition