Emma Ellice-Flint’s Fudgy Chocolate Truffles
Cocoa has significant health benefits for both your brain and gut. Consuming cocoa helps your gut microbiota to thrive as the microbes like the polyphenols in the cocoa (polyphenols are plant chemicals that have anti-inflammatory effects in the body).
Cocoa can also potentially support blood flow to the brain as well as increasing the production of brain neurotransmitters in the gut, which in turn makes us feel great and gives us greater vitality.
Note: despite cocoa’s excellent health benefits, don’t eat it if it gives you headaches/migraines or itchy skin, as it can be triggering for a small number of people.
Makes about 15
- 1 cup (120g) nuts (we like to use raw almonds)
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa or cacao powder, plus extra for dusting
- 5-6 pitted medjoul dates (90g)
- 4-6 pitted dried prunes (35g), for fudginess
- 5 tbsp (80ml) regular coconut milk
- Finely grated zest from 1 unwaxed orange
- Or 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Or ½ tsp cardamom powder and ½ tsp star anise powder
- Blitz the nuts in a food processor until ground.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until well combined.
- If you don’t have a food processor, grind the nuts in a blender or smoothie maker. Once ground, tip out into a bowl and add the coconut milk, cocoa, dates and prunes into the blender or smoothie maker, and mix until smooth. Add the coconut and fruit mix to the bowl with the ground nuts and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Roll into balls roughly the size of a tablespoon, then coat the outside by rolling in either cocoa powder or toasted coconut flakes, or leave as is.
- Alternatively, flatten out the mixture in the base of a small baking paper-lined square cake tin, so that the mixture is about 2cm thick. Cover and allow to cool in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Take the mixture out of the fridge and cut out truffle shapes using small cookie cutters.
These truffles store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or freeze well.
Learn more about Emma.
©Emma Ellice-Flint ©Emma’s Nutrition