Emma Ellice-Flint’s Avocado, Basil and Borlotti Bean Salad with Smoked Fish
Avocados contain plenty of vitamins C and B, which support energy production and improve your mood. They also have high levels of anti-inflammatory monounsaturated fat, as well as plant chemical beta-carotene, which helps provide a healthy blood flow to your brain.
- 100g cooked borlotti beans or lentils
- 250g long green beans, remove the little woody stalks from the top
- 1⁄2 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium ripe avocado, stoned and peeled, chopped into cubes
- 1 tbsp capers (drained)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Per person: 100-120g smoked mackerel or other fish such as salmon or sardines
- 1 handful basil leaves, washed and finely chopped or minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- 1 tsp dried thyme or oregano (optional)
- Steam the green beans and sliced onions for 3 minutes.
- Mix the olive oil, finely chopped basil, oregano and lemon juice in a bowl to make the dressing.
- Toss the vegetables, capers and borlotti beans (or lentils) with the dressing, and carefully combine, taking care not to squish the avocado too much. Then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Flake over the smoked mackerel or another type of fish.
Family hack: If you’re feeding a family, cook up some pasta for them to toss through this dish. They’ll love the basil dressing and creamy avocado. If your family doesn’t like mackerel, then shred some cooked chicken into their dish instead.
Learn more about Emma.
©Emma Ellice-Flint ©Emma’s Nutrition