Emma Ellice-Flint’s Avocado, Basil and Borlotti Bean Salad with Eggs
If you’re looking for a mood-boosting, vitamin-packed salad, this one will hit the spot. Avocados are full of vitamins B and C, which support energy production and improve your mood. They also have high levels of anti-inflammatory monounsaturated fat, especially oleic acid, as well as phytonutrients such as beta-carotene, helping to increase blood flow for a healthy brain.
Try adding some pasta and toss through this dish – it works brilliantly with the basil dressing and creamy avocado.
- 100g cooked borlotti beans or lentils
- 250g long green beans, remove the little woody stalks from the top
- 1⁄2 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium ripe avocado, stoned and peeled, chopped into cubes
- 1 tbsp capers (drained)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cooked eggs per person
- 1 handful basil leaves, washed and finely chopped/minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1 small lemon – about 2 tbsp
- 1 tsp dried thyme or oregano (optional)
- Steam the green beans and sliced onions for 3 minutes.
- Mix the olive oil, finely chopped basil, dried thyme or oregano and lemon juice in a bowl to make the dressing.
- Toss the vegetables, capers and borlotti beans (or lentils) with the dressing, and carefully combine, taking care not to squish the avocado too much.
- Chop up and scatter over the cooked eggs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Learn more about Emma.
©Emma Ellice-Flint ©Emma’s Nutrition